Mt Owen commenced open cut mining operations in 1993 under the management of Hunter Valley Coal Corporation Pty Limited (HVCC) with production increasing subsequent to relevant approvals over the next 11 years. Glencore (as Xstrata) acquired Mt Owen in 2003.
In December 2004, Mt Owen was granted a new Development Approval (DA 14-1-2004) for an expansion to existing approved mining operations at Mt Owen. The Approval allowed for the following:
- continuation of existing and approved mining operations at Mt Owen;
- extension of mining operations over a 21 year mine life;
- development of the Eastern Rail Pit;
- development of an out of pit overburden emplacement area known as the West Dump;
- increased Run of Mine (ROM) coal production at Mt Owen from 8 Mtpa to 10 Mtpa;
- construction and operation of a ROM coal receival facility and haul road to enable Mt Owen Coal Handling and Preparation Plant (CHPP) to receive and process ROM coal from Ravensworth East and Glendell mines;
- modifications to the Mt Owen CHPP allowing for the increased throughput of up to 15 Mtpa ROM coal, and establishment of an additional product coal stockpile;
- increase in the approved handling capacity of the rail loading facility and the Mt Owen rail spur to transport up to 15 Mtpa ROM coal equivalent;
- continued disposal of tailings from the Mt Owen CHPP in voids at Ravensworth East mine;
- associated modifications to the mine water management system; and
- minor changes to infrastructure.
The approved expansion of Mt Owen secures Mt Owen's future as a key coal producer and exporter in the region.
On 1 December 2005, HVCC, owner of, and holder of Leases and Approvals associated with the Mt Owen Mine changed its name to Xstrata Mt Owen. In June 2013, Xstrata Mt Owen changed its name to Mt Owen, following the merger between Xstrata and Glencore.
On 3 November 2016 Mt Owen was granted a new Development Approval (SSD 5850) which allowed for the continued operation of the Mt Owen and Ravensworth East Mines.
On 4 September 2019 DPIE approved Mt Owen Continued Operations Modification 2 (SSD-5850) and on 12 September 2019 EPA approved the surrender of EPL 10860 (Ravensworth East) and activities within this EPL has now been amalgamated with EPL 4460 (Mt Owen).